Friday 31 July 2015

Game of Thrones: part 3

     


     



     So, these books just keep getting bigger and bigger. But I must admit, it took me a little over two weeks to read it and it's still the fastest I've read 900+ pages, even if they were spread over two or three books, not just one.

     A Storm of Swords is the third instalment in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. As you probably know, the fifth season of the TV show Game of Thrones which is based on these books has aired and finished already a little over a month ago. I decided to boycott the show until I read all the books because for me it's better to get the surprises and shocks on paper rather than on screen; a joy I am still deprived of because I had watched up to season four already which ran parallel up to book three.

     So now, I have read what I watched and watched what I have read. I thought that I could read book four, A Feast for Crows, then watch the new season, however, it turns out that book four AND five actually are parallel, where book four shows things from the perspective of a few characters, then book five goes back to show the same time period from the perspective of the other characters. The TV show showed a combination of books four and five which means I still have to postpone watching season five a bit longer.

     This book was much lighter on scenes with Tyrion Lannister, which was the downside for me. Other than that, I could safely say it's the best of the three books so far. The plot is thickening and most of the characters are getting new twists in their stories and we start to understand a little more about the Lord of Light and Dorne and some of those things we only heard of remotely in the first two books.

     The next book in the series for me, number four, A Feast for Crows, is about two hundred pages shorter than book three, so I hope to get through it faster and also, since all the action will be new to me, I am hoping for an even more enjoyable experience than the three books I have got through.

     I have a few books on my TBR list to get through then I will be jumping back into the world of Westeros and Essos and I'll be reporting back right here, so stay tuned for the updates and pick up your copies and join me and get in on the action. You will not regret it.

Until then, Valar Dohaeris.

No comments:

Post a Comment