Thursday 12 March 2015

Stephen King: A suggested reading list






        When it comes to Stephen King, I find it difficult to choose what his best novel is. This could be in part because I am a big fan and my opinion is biased, it could also be in part to the fact that I am still very much behind on reading enough of his work to be able to make such distinctions. So, when asked "what should I read first if I want to begin reading Stephen King?", I can only draw on my own experience which admittedly isn't very long, but I think can be helpful nonetheless.

Stephen King writes big books and although they are engaging enough to keep you hooked and entertained throughout, they still can be off-putting for the uninitiated. So bearing all the above in mind, here is what I think a new reader of Stephen King should start with: (click on any name to go to its Amazon page for more reviews)

2- The Dark Half                         


This is not by any means a list of my top three SK books but if you have it in you to read big books then you should read these and in this order, I read them all can attest to that.

If you prefer starting of with something a little shorter then Misery and Carrie are for you and of course you must not miss the most famous SK story, The Shining.

1- Misery
2- Carrie





If you would like fast paced easy reads and more recent King books then you can begin with Mr. Mercedes, which is a great crime thriller and then move down the list. 11/22/63 is a monster of a book but worth every second of reading. If you don't want to tackle a book this size, then of course, yes you said it, go for The Shining

2- Revival (you can also check my review of Revival here)
                  




Here is a list of the Stephen King novels I have read in case you would like to discuss any of them of ask about any of them. Below that are the SK novels on my To-Be-Read list.

Have been read:
  • 11/22/63
  • Bag of Bones
  • The Dark Half
  • Doctor Sleep
  • Joyland
  • Mr. Mercedes
  • Revival
  • The Shining

On my TBR list:
Misery
The Stand
Lisey's Story
Needful Things
Pet Sematary
Salem's Lot
Carrie
Cell
Desperation
Duma Key
Gerald's Game
It


Thank you very much for reading. Enjoy your journey into the vortex that is Stephen King writing.

WARNING: if you get hooked it will be bad for your wallet and for your time. You have been warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment